Monday, December 29, 2008

今日は東京に行きました。(Today, to Tokyo, -oh baby I- went.)

Once again, I don't really have enough time to bust out any major essay, but I can give you my first impressions of Tokyo and how things are going so far. (I lied if you keep reading.. this thing is huge.) The people at the Church in Ichihara are so encouraged, I think. We have been doing some youth nights and stuff with kids in the community and just fun and games type stuff. For two days I worked on installing insulation in these Christian kindergartens. During those two days I was hosted by a Japanese family. Oh sweet Jesus, thank you for the Japanese. Great food, great bed, great bath, complimentary tissues w/ drink tray ( In case I'm feeling parched during the night) that is what I'm talkin bout. God bless those people!

東京!
I only had an opportunity to stay in Tokyo for about 2-3 hours. We were passing through on our way to a YWAMers house where I am at right now.

My first impression of Tokyo: The architecture is mind boggling... you either have gravity defying skyscrapers, ancient circa. 942 Japanese temples/buildings, or lego-polygonal blocks 5 stories high and only 1 foot away from each other.

2nd, (Japanese) people are everywhere. For instance the Shibuya Crossing has 2.4 million people cross it every day. You cant stop them, they just keep coming, like a sea of hello kitty. I was briefly in Shinjuku which is a very populated area, so yeah.. its nutso.

3rd thing: Anyone who has ever traveled somewhere else will tell you McDonalds is different in those countries. Im here to tell you my Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese was much tastier than any McDs Ill have in the states. Fries (or Furido Potato) are the same, which is nothing less than satisfactory. Btw, if you want to know how crafty the Japanese are they turned McDonalds and Starbucks (Yes! It really is everywhere.).. they turned these places into verbs. If you want to say "Wanna go to Mcdonalds?" You say.. "Maku ru". That is the epitome of craftiness.

And one more thing! I was asked if we have McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken in America. Globalization accomplished! I said.. "Yes, all these places came from America, and so did Starbucks" ..their reply *pure unadulterated shock*... "Also seven eleven and baskin robbins came from America" ...their reply *seriously out of this world upside down town*.. I was amused... so. Its funny, but I don't blame them -these chains are everywhere.

SO! Hopefully I will have some stories about amazing moves of God and more of what He is doing in Japan. I think it is so easy to get distracted here, and the past ten-twenty years have not been good to Missions/the Church in Japan. Ask Uncle Rob and he will be able to fill you in. So that is what we are struggling with daily. Please pray for my team, for Japan, and for the lasting impact this outreach will have on my life and on Japan. Love you all!

2 comments:

gavsdad said...

Hello my extremely handsome and intelligent son!

Thanks for the great stuff on your blog... including the song. Nice.
Japan sounds amazing... have some seaweed for me please. As you leave Jan 4... please keep us posted.
I love you,
DAD

The Mama said...

Glad all is well for you. Good thing you LOVE Asian food...You're getting plenty of it now!! Call me when you can. Miss you terribly. I remember Japan and the ubiquitous sea of dark heads. You tower above them as a tall American. Do they stare at you? Just smile and say HI(in Japenese of course).
Love you...